Our Project

To celebrate our school’s theme of Hope this year, I am giving my seventh graders permission to pass notes. Hope Notes. But they won’t be passing them in class, and they won’t be passing them to their classmates. They will be sharing their Hope Notes with the world!

Sound too big? Perhaps. So, we’ll just start with our community. The task I have presented to my seventh graders is based on a website I found over the weekend, Hope Revo. It is a very simple, but powerful idea: to spread Hope one note at a time. My students and I will be creating Hope Notes and leaving them wherever we may go. On one side of the note will be a brief message of Hope, and on the other side will be the address to this blog along with a request to contact us, let us know where they found the note and share any reaction they might have.

Students will be placing these notes out in the community where people might find them: on a park bench, on a shelf in a bookstore or library, even on the sink in the bathroom at our local movie theater. After they place their note, I’ve asked my students to take a picture of it to share with us so that we might chronicle this journey.

I told my seventh graders the other day, “Never underestimate the power that a positive word or phrase can have on another human being!”